Senior Creative Technologist (Back End)
We are an Experience Design Studio producing a wide variety of interactive installations for museums, corporations, and public spaces. Candidates should have demonstrated experience coding and deploying large-scale, long-term, interactive installations. We are looking for candidates who are proficient technically, but also have a passion for creating robust and well engineered solutions while having an eye for great aesthetics of the final solution.
As a Creative Engineer at Local Projects tasks include:
* API and content/data-management systems (and dashboards) development in our Python/Flask Framework. We also use non-Python solutions, including NodeJS and Go.
* Back-end scripting and applications to support front-end applications
* Database design and implementation
* DevOps functions using Ansible - to support all components of the system, whether front-end, backend, or systems management.
* SysOps functions for building out the final installation; including network architecture and setup, cloud-hosted instances, cloud solutions, and overall infrastructure management both onsite and in the cloud
* Machine Learning approaches to solve different content and data solutions for front-end experiences
This is a creative environment. Engineers collaborate with designers, architects and other technologists. All are encouraged to work fluidly across domains, contributing to all aspects of the build from the ideation to final installation.
You must have an interest in, and passion for, learning new technologies and practices. You should be able to learn fast and be able to work in a fast-paced and deliverables-focused organization. This means managing the balance between solid engineering for long-term stability and fast solutions for immediate results. We are looking for candidates who are passionate about both, but who also know how to prioritize to be able to solve for both with proper planning.
The ideal candidate embraces new technologies, keeps abreast of best-practices, and helps make the system easy and effortless for all team members. Backend solutions should make front-end engineers' work easy and flexible; they should make clients happy because the infrastructure is robust, managed with solid tools.
Candidates must have at least 4 years of production experience in a fast-paced production-oriented environment, with regular delivery milestones.
Candidates will have the following skills and experience:
- Python proficiency; must also know at least one other scripting language (Perl, PHP, Ruby)
- Comfort with a recent front-end framework - preferably VueJS, but ReactJS also is acceptable.
- Strong experience with Python web frameworks such as Flask and Django. Must also have exposure to non-Python frameworks such as Laravel, Rails, etc.
- Strong understanding of REST, web services and microservices architectures
- Strong database background with RDBMS, primarily MySQL and PostgreSQL. Must be proficient in SQL
- Experience with NoSQL solutions, primarily MongoDB.
- Comfort with all components of Amazon Web Services stack. Must have production experience with EC2, S3, SES, RDS, IAMs, and must have at least worked with LightSail, Kubernetes, Lambda.
- Comfort with at least one non-AWS cloud solution such as Google App-Engine, Heroku, Digital Ocean, etc.
- Production experience with deployment tools. Ansible is preferred but other solutions such as capistrano, chef, puppet would also help.
- Strong Linux/Posix experience; including shell scripting, and systems administration
- Windows Systems Administration experience; including powershell scripting, WinRM and other Windows administration features.
- Proficiency with git, git-lfs, git submodule workflows and the git-flow branching model
- Must have excellent written and verbal communication skills and be able to communicate technical issues to project managers and designers.
- Experience with gitlab or other self-hosted Git management systems, such as gitolite
- C++, iOS and Android programming exposure since we
- A desire to create great documentation
- Solid time-management and project estimation skills
Local Projects has a culture of prototyping and experimentation, creating an environment where every member of our staff is exposed to every other discipline's inner working. We pride ourselves on pushing the envelope on technologies, using technical solutions in unusual ways, and ultimately making truly fun experiences.
Our environment encourages cross pollination between designers, architects, producers, managers and developers, and you may even be called upon to be an extra in a green-screened shoot.