Senior Visual Experience Designer
We have a roster of fantastic projects in front of us and are looking for passionate Senior Graphic Designers with a strong point of view. As a member of the Visual Experience Department, designers are responsible for developing and executing impactful design solutions for a diverse range of interdisciplinary projects.
As a member of the Visual Experience Department, the Senior Designer will be responsible for developing and executing impactful design solutions for a diverse range of interdisciplinary projects and for mentoring junior and intermediate designers.
- Develop an understanding for Local Project’s ambition, process and culture
- Be a proactive member of the Visual Experience Department
- Design, iterate and execute across a variety of interdisciplinary projects and media
- Establish conceptual frameworks to solve complex design challenges
- Collaborate with strategists, content developers, UX designers, creative technologists, etc. to come up with unexpected, meaningful and innovative solutions
- Create smart, sophisticated and impactful visual systems
- Communicate concepts to staff, leadership, and clients
- Ensure integrity and quality of visual direction when translated to linear media, interactive media, and physical environments.
- Lead and support on projects from concept to execution
- Collaborate with team members to establish functioning workflows
- Flag stumbling blocks and provide ideas for solutions
- Oversee, support and mentor younger talent
- Coordinate with project team members to clarify design dependencies (hardware and software specs, content specs, architectural specs, etc.)
- Provide appropriate time estimates and expectations for yourself and more junior designers on a project
- Meet deadlines and expectations established by project leads
Local Projects is a media design firm for museums and public spaces. While innovation drives much of today’s design, we’re interested in creating projects that endure.
We’re reinventing public space through media, creating meaning and connections in places as diverse as Memorials, Times Square, and art installations. We focus on engaging audiences through emotion and technology, developing new ways for people to interact with art, cities and one another.
We gather stories through collaborative storytelling projects like Storycorps, the 9/11 Memorial Museum, Cooper-Hewitt Smithsonian Design Museum, and more. Combined, we have brought forth over 100,000 individuals’ stories and memories, sharing them with the world and touching millions of lives.
Local Projects has won top prize for every major design award including the National Design Award for Interaction Design, Fast Company Masters of Design, Webby Gold, Muse Gold and AIGA Gold. They were #2 on Fast Company’s 2011 list for most innovative design studios and were named to the 2012 Public Interest 100, for people working in the Public Interest, alongside Bill Clinton and the Knight Foundation.
- A design degree (graphic, interaction, communication, media design, or a related field)
- Excellent design skills exhibited in an impactful portfolio
- A proven record of coming up with distinct visual expressions for a broad range of clients with varied needs
- An interest for developing unprecedented solutions that actively engage audiences
- A demonstrated aptitude for establishing design system
- The ability to think conceptually and express ideas visually, verbally and in writing
- A passion for typography
- A solid understanding of user-experience and interaction design
- Experience in designing for physical spaces and/or interactive media
- Experience in 3D or animation and motion graphics is a plus!
- Strong technical and organizational skills
- Excellent time management skills
- Ambitious attitude and a strong point of view
- An empathetic nature with an open, positive mindset
- The ability to collaborate in teams, to work autonomously and to take direction from project leads
- An awareness of contemporary trends in technology, art and design
- The ability to thrive in a fast paced creative environment