Local Projects is searching for a passionate Art Director to join our Visual Experience Design team.
Our Art Directors are driven creators with a progressive point of view on design. They discover the most exciting ideas through deep collaboration across disciplines — creative technology, content, spatial design, motion design, user experience and disciplines on the periphery. They particularly love to dive into content, work closely with our clients, and explore ways to translate messages into compelling and profound experiences for people all over the world.
Local Projects Art Directors are leaders within our studio and amongst our teams. They know how to communicate clearly and with confidence and are responsible for directing the strategy, development and execution of exceptional design solutions for a diversity of projects at all stages of development. They work intimately with the Creative Director on nurturing the creative vision and lead designers in energizing and shaping remarkable and memorable work.
Our ideal candidate will demonstrate exceptional design through a portfolio of relevant work (specifically in media + exhibit design), have very strong communication and hands-on execution skills. A minimum of 7+ years of professional experience is preferred, with a degree in design or a related field, or an outstanding demonstration of experience relevant to the type of work we love to do.
- A design degree (graphic, interaction, communication, media design, or a related field)
- Superior design and art direction skills exhibited in an outstanding portfolio
- Minimum experience of 7+ years, or an outstanding demonstration of experience
- Excellent typographic and design skills
- Experienced in developing unprecedented design solutions that actively engage audiences
- Accomplished in establishing complex design systems for digital and built environments
- Accomplished in visualizing concepts for time-based and interactive experiences
- Experience in designing for physical spaces, with a sensitivity to environmental graphics
- 3D or animation and motion graphics is a plus!
- Strong strategic and conceptual skills
- A proven record of driving experiments, iterating quickly and pushing conventions
- The ability to distill key insights and translate them into design principles
- The ability to cut through complex content and translate narratives into compelling visual experience design
- Familiar with expressing arguments and ideas visually, verbally and in writing
- An awareness of contemporary trends in technology, art and design
- Proven track record of project direction and team management
- Disposition to inspire, mentor and lead by example
- Strong leadership and mediation skills
- Confidence to make difficult decisions and guide designers towards aspirational design solutions
- Experienced in structuring workflows and managing design teams
- Leading and maintaining strong design direction across multidisciplinary teams
- Precision, detail and solution oriented
- Excellent technical, organizational and time management skills
- The ability to collaborate in teams, work autonomously and to take direction from creative leadership
- Progressive understanding of UX, GUI and interaction design as well as the workflow of time-based media
- Experienced in structuring and holding working sessions and presentations, internally as well as to clients and collaborators
- A highly self-motivated, ambitious and professional work attitude
- An empathetic nature with an open, positive mindset
- The ability to thrive in a fast paced creative environment
- Develop, maintain and enhance the creative vision in collaboration with the Creative Director
- Provide art direction on visual experience design for projects of various scales and types – from web and mobile to interactive installations and large scale exhibition graphics
- Provide compelling arguments for the design direction that foster internal and external understanding and agreement
- Establish conceptual frameworks to solve complex design challenges
- Establish smart, sophisticated and impactful visual systems
- Strive for innovation and aesthetic excellence
- Ensure integrity and quality of visual direction throughout all phases of a given project and esp. when translated to linear media, interactive media, and physical environments
- Collaborate with strategists, content developers, UX designers, creative technologists, etc. to come up with unexpected, meaningful and innovative ideas and concepts
- Direct, collaborate, execute, mentor and support on projects from ideation through design development, asset production and launch with the fidelity needed for effective team collaboration at each phase
- Coordinate with project team members to clarify design dependencies (hardware and software specs, content specs, architectural specs, etc.)
- Encourage progressive thinking and the pushing of boundaries
LEADING & MENTORING
- Bring new approaches to the creative process, ideation and design strategy and inspire across disciplines
- Flag stumbling-blocks and offer solutions
- Provide accurate time estimates and expectations for yourself and designers on a project
- Juggle multiple projects, establish expectations for designers and ensure deadlines are met
- Nurture junior talent through clear direction, constructive feedback and passing on knowledge and expertise
- Pursue professional development through workshops, classes, conferences, etc.
CONTRIBUTING TO CULTURE
- Develop an understanding for Local Project’s ambition, process and culture
- Be a leading member of the Visual Experience Department and voice of design excellence within the studio
Health/Dental/Vision, 401k, generous PTO package, Commuter Transit Benefits, American Alliance of Museums membership, professional enrichment programs.