Reporting to: Founder & Principal/COO
Minimum Experience: 10+ years
Local Projects is an experience design firm with a passion for testing the limits of human interaction. Driven to keep both meaning and innovation at the forefront of our work, we build opportunities across a range of platforms that inspire people to participate, share, and explore.
Over the last 18 years, we have completed over 100 experiential projects ranging in scope and scale. And have had the great honor of winning awards for our work, such as the National Design Award, Muse, AIGA, and the Cannes Gold Lion to mention a few.
Creative Directors at Local Projects envision cutting-edge design solutions for our portfolio of international cultural and corporate clients from concept through to execution. From short design sprints, through to multiple-year engagements, CDs establish the design excellence and innovation at the core of the firm’s services and reputation. CDs also influence our studio culture by leading multidisciplinary internal design teams, shaping processes, and pursuing innovation while ensuring creative excellence.
Bringing a depth of knowledge from one of LP’s core creative disciplines, Creative Directors work with clients to apply creative solutions towards a range of experiential projects that include physical environments, linear and interactive media, graphics, and sound, ensuring that project deliverables meet standards of excellence within established timelines and budgets. Excellent visual and oral communicators, CDs lead the client conversation towards realizable creative solutions. Sensitive listeners and partners, CDs work with the Project Manager to manage client relationships and develop production plans through all project phases and pivots.
Creative Directors bring the BIG creative solution and POV to projects. They are expected to maintain full understanding of their projects needs to lead them successfully through to final production. While discipline experts within the project team execute the project’s vision, CDs must have a broad understanding of how each team member can best be directed to contribute to the project at the right moment, from content, to physical design, from graphic design to linear and interactive media, the CD works with the Project Manager to activate the studios multidisciplinary teams, guiding them toward focused solutions.
- Set the creative direction for a multidisciplinary team, ensuring that everyone on the internal team is aiming for the same solution and working synergistically to create a solution that is greater than the individual contributions combined.
- Ensure that the creative solutions align with clients’ objectives.
- Provide overall creative and strategic direction for all team members working on the project, including the Art Director, Visual Designers, UX/UI Designers, Creative Technologists, Motion Designers, Physical Designers, Content Developers and others as needed for the project.
- Work with the PM to allocate the budget to meet the scope requirements, while making unique, innovative solutions that push the boundaries and create award winning stand out work that drives LP’s reputation in creating new user experiences in public spaces.
- Creatively interpret clients’ needs to shape a creative vision while giving the internal team an exciting and engaging challenge within their capacity, driving growth and development for individuals and the team.
- Consistently challenge self and team to deliver leading edge creative solutions.
- Participate in creative management team meetings, providing input and opinion into the future direction of Local Projects and taking on actions and tasks as required to help LP achieve its future objectives more effectively.
- Collaborate with COO to assemble project teams and then lead them.
- Work seamlessly with Project Managers, the COO and Principal/Executive Creative Director to manage the creative process to deliver award winning, innovative, meaningful and deeply engaging solutions for clients on time and within budget.
- Collaborate with Project Manager to develop overall project schedules and resourcing plans.
- Work with the Executive Creative Director and Project Manager to establish scopes of work, setting realistic budget and timeline goals that account for all stages of the project including concept/ideation, design/development, production, launch/installation and warranty.
- Create and direct effective decks and visual treatments to communicate concepts.
- Lead concepts pitches.
- Provide specific creative feedback to designers on the team during all phases of the project.
- Assist with Strategy/New Business creative needs, proactively assessing the client’s objectives, and suggesting innovative ideas to meet their needs.
- Actively participate in regular team meetings energetically leading and fostering effective collaboration between design disciplines that leads to vibrant creativity.
- Keep up-to-date on design trends in our industry, including conference attendance, speaking, teaching, writing engagements, discover new talent.
- A portfolio of work that shows your creative storytelling capabilities and built work
- 10+ years of experience creating world-class solutions in creative management
- Education and/or proven excellence in at least one core technical creative discipline (e.g. filmmaking, architecture, graphic design, interactive design, copywriting)
- Experience building, leading and guiding teams – not just an executor of creative
- Strong knowledge of digital media
- A strong sense of ownership of projects as well as exceptional organizational abilities
- Excellent communication and collaboration skills
- Strong leadership and presentation skills, with the ability to articulate, present, and sell ideas.
- Proven innovation, creativity, “big idea” conceptual ability
- Self starter – knows what needs to be done and how to get it done.
- Team player - high energy level, and willingness to do "whatever it takes."
Please include a cover letter with your reply.
Health/Dental/Vision, 401k, generous PTO package, Commuter Transit Benefits, American Alliance of Museums membership, as well as memberships to key industry groups for professional development and growth.
Local Projects is committed to a diverse and inclusive workforce. Our collaboration with each other and the experiences we create together greatly benefit from a range of perspectives, which can only come from diversity of all types, across all disciplines, at all levels of the studio. Achieving true diversity and inclusion is the right thing to do. It is also the smart thing for our business. So we strongly encourage women, veterans, people with disabilities, people of color and gender nonconforming candidates to apply.
Local Projects is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of an individual's sex, age, race, color, creed, national origin, alienage, religion, marital status, pregnancy, sexual orientation or affectional preference, gender identity and expression, disability, genetic trait or predisposition, carrier status, citizenship, veteran or military status and other personal characteristics protected by law. All applications will receive consideration for employment without regard to legally protected characteristics.